[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Ned Williams nwilliams at interland.net
Mon Jul 23 18:00:48 EDT 2001

Back when I still lived where you could get broadband, I set  up MRTG and its
ping probe to test connectivity to Cablevision's router(com21 old system) and
once a month I would call support and ask for my refund for my service outages it
only took two months of this before they came out and re-ran all the wire to my
cable modem and from the switch to the poll...needless to say I probably
expirienced 30% downtime weekly. I could get at&T as of last month in my area but
back when Americast gave up the ghost I called and was going to switch, be a good
little cable modem user,at which time they promply screwed up the service call, I
had to wait an hour on hold to tell them this, just so they could tell me it
would take 2 weeks to get someone back out, 3 managers later and 3 days later(no
disney channel for 3 days with a 2 year old who loves bear,what a treat)I was
told there was nothing they could do me and I was only delaying my installation
by complaining, thus I resceduled for two weeks later, called my dad borrowed his
extra DSS system, hooked it up had it online (note total time 30 or so hours from
the please cable call) and the house was once again at peace,( I held for another
hour the next day to tell them where to stick their service,at&t that is) I would
go with DirecPC but helius bites, when it comes to the linux driver so, no broad
band for us till we move,at which time I will proably go with gwinnett.com's dsl
60 a month for a static IP, and to quote Todd there  "hey we love linux, we run
most of our servers on it."

my 2 cents
Ned