[ale] MyLinux Personal Workstation initial production run (long)

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 22:58:45 EDT 2001

Hey folks,

A couple months ago I posted some material about the AZ Power
Personal Linux Workstation, a fairly hefty (performance-wise)
palmtop. AZ Power is going to sell these things for cost+$20,
which means that the more folks order them the cheaper they'll
be. This is a Hitachi SuperH-based beastie, base configuration
is 64MB RAM and 32MB flash for a filesystem, and I/O out the
wazoo. IOW, a machine that you could feasibly do actual work
with, not just PIM stuff. Here's the URL:

http://www.azpower.com/mylinux/

What follows is the announcement about the initial production
run. The target price for the initial run is $699/unit, with
an eventual target of ~$300/unit when the production runs
get big enough.

-- Joe

Rob Wehrli wrote:

> I thought that I'd provide a quick update to the informal survey.
>
> So far, we're about evenly split between the high end and the low end,
> with perhaps one or two more responses for the low end versus the high
> end...but a dead heat for all practical purposes.
>
> Without a clear "winner," I'll need to default to a somewhat different
> mechanism to decide how we'll build the next round of 200 units.  How
> does the group feel about letting an "orders-based" approach work for
> us?  Our dilemma is that we need to do *a* production run, but which
> model?  The cost concern is that it will cost us less the further down
> the production path we go.  This first run will cost the most.
> Subsequent runs will cost a little less and a little less until we
> finally can do enough volume to make it cost quite a bit less...but that
> it at about the 2000 per production run point, so we're not going to see
> a big cost savings for quite a little while without a lot of orders.
>
> Note that we're keeping strictly to the COST + $20 model!  With that in
> mind, I'd like to generally propose the following for your acceptance.
> Those wishing to place an order will go to our order page (being
> developed) and place their order for the configuration desired.  Credit
> card billing information is *taken* at that time, but no transaction
> occurs *unless* you state that you wish to make a deposit.  The idea
> here is that some folks might want to spread the cost of a unit over two
> credit card billing cycles, while we're building your unit(s).  We are
> currently seeing an approximately 4-6 week lead time on components,
> which puts an order placed for a unit at about 8 weeks delivery time,
> give or take a bit.
>
> Now...since we're not charging an already known flat rate, but a rate
> that is capped at our list price less our actual cost (plus $20) plus
> shipping will mean that the final price will likely vary somewhat
> between the "target" price and what you actually have to pay to get your
> unit in your hands.  Here it is broken out in a bit more detail with
> numbers.  I'll use the example of the low-end units without prejudice.
>
> Target Price: $699.00  (Final price can not exceed $699 plus shipping &
> handling)
>
> Our Cost:     $612.00  (Bogus number, just used for illustration, actual
> cost is still unknown!)
> Our $20:        20.00  (Our "profit" ...only ~8,000 more units to go to break
> even!)
> Your Shipping:$ 18.00  (Guessitmate based on 2nd/3rd day to most US
> locations, Intl higher)
>
> Total Due:    $650.00
> Less Deposit: $349.50  (50% of $699)
> Net Due:      $300.50  (Charged to your card when shipped)
>
> Naturally, we're continuing to take every possible measure to constrain
> costs, but the first couple of thousand units are just going to be
> wildly expensive compared to someone with more money who can build a lot
> [...]

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *