[ale] disk backup!

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Thu Jul 19 18:37:48 EDT 2001

"Ben Coleman" <oloryn at benshome.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:52:48 -0600, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:

> >That being the case, and with
> >hard-disk storage being dirt cheap these days, it probably makes
> >sense to build RAID into every server, and just replace
> >the disks as they fail.

> Uh, no.  Multiple disk failure *does* happen.  My latest client had
> this happen last summer, and I got to sit out work for a week while
> they had disk recovery done on their main server's disks (yes, they had
> tape backup, but evidently what it restored wasn't good enough to run
> with.  I think part of this was due to the hazards of backing up in-use
> files, and part was due to lack of attention to whether the nightly
> backups completed or not.).  RAID is no cure-all.

One client I know suffered their server closet getting too hot and all
of their RAID disks burned up.  There's also the case of fire, theft,
or vandalism.  Off-site regular backups are mandatory.

I also recommending keeping an occasional full backup for a long time,
such as an every 3 month tape for 1 or 2 years and annual tapes forever.
This is in case of having to respond to legal issues or in case a system
suffers a stealth compromise that is not discovered for a long time.  In
that case, comparing those backups to the current system will be invaluable.

> Ben
> --
> Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
> http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at
> Amateur Radio NJ8J                   | best, in equal misery for all.

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                      [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com                          [Please use for email to me]
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My 5* book:"Real World Linux Security"]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.