[ale] disk backup!

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Thu Jul 19 14:43:19 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:52:48 -0600, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:

>That being the case, and with
>hard-disk storage being dirt cheap these days, it probably makes
>sense to build RAID into every server, and just replace
>the disks as they fail.

Uh, no.  Multiple disk failure *does* happen.  My latest client had
this happen last summer, and I got to sit out work for a week while
they had disk recovery done on their main server's disks (yes, they had
tape backup, but evidently what it restored wasn't good enough to run
with.  I think part of this was due to the hazards of backing up in-use
files, and part was due to lack of attention to whether the nightly
backups completed or not.).  RAID is no cure-all.

Ben

--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at