[ale] Mimencode

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Wed Jul 18 14:57:46 EDT 2001

Has anyone use mimencode or mmencode with success in attaching binary
files to email messages?

In the past, if I wanted to send a spreadsheet named "daily.xls" to a
mailing list, I could do the following with a simple bash script.

#!/usr/bin/bash
(cat list.txt;uuencode daily.xls daily.xls) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t

Note - file list.txt has the To:, From:; Subject, etc.  info.

The following will generate a message, but my mail client (Netscape)
does not recognize or decode the result, so I have a nice long text
file.

#!/usr/bin/bash
(cat list.txt;mmencode daily.xls) | /usr/bin/sendmail -t

Any hints or clues?

Regards - Bob Kruger