[ale] disk backup!

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 13:52:48 EDT 2001

Ken Nagorski wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Please help. We are using tape at the moment and it is so lame. The
> overpriced tape units we have are broke more than they work. My boss is
> looking at those Maxtor or whoever it is that makes a disk unit that runs
> win2000. Please help me I will be so pissed if they but those. Plus there
> has got to be a product built with linux to do disk backup... Shit all of
> our servers are Linux...
>
> Any suggestions.

Backup media, it seems, will never be able to keep up with primary
storage in terms of data density. (I know I'll probably eat those
words next year, but whatever.) That being the case, and with
hard-disk storage being dirt cheap these days, it probably makes
sense to build RAID into every server, and just replace
the disks as they fail. You could build a network server just
for this, and have the other machines dump their data to it
each night.

-- Joe

P.S. - No offence, Ken, but your .sig is just too long.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *