[ale] OT - MSIS at Kennesaw (or anywhere for that matter)

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jul 18 12:54:27 EDT 2001

John Wells wrote:

> > Well, first off, ths MSIS is a Masters program - I
> > don't know about
> > Kennesaw, but don't schools usually want a bachelors
> > degree to let you
> > enroll in a Masters level program?
>
> Actually most will.

>From the admissions req. web site of Kenn. S.U. Pay special note to the

LAST line:

B. Provisional Standing

'the requirements for full standing may be considered for provisional
standing if, in the opinion of the program director or graduate
admissions committee, the applicant demonstrates strong potential to
complete a graduate degree. A program to make up the deficiencies will
be designed by the program director or advisor. No more than nine
semester hours of graduate course work earned while in provisional
standing may be applied toward the requirements of a degree program.
Because the provisional requirements may vary among programs, the
student should be knowledgeable of any additional requirements within
the degree program. Provisional standing is allowed only in the M.Ed.
program.'

I personally think this is unacceptable.  I think they should look at
other credentials, particularly in this day and age. (full disclosure, I
do have a BS).

I know they'll claim there concern is that you don't waste their time,
but hey, you're paying the bill.  They could easily place tighter
requirements in such a situation.  If it was me, I'd get an appointment
with the Dean and talk about it.  I wouldn't accept the verbiage from
the web site as 'law.'

I've seen it done at other schools.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein