[ale] Linux in libraries (a heads-up for June 2002)

Douglas Knudsen doug at cubicleman.com
Wed Jul 18 02:24:28 EDT 2001

Interesting.  I just moved to Atlanta from the Univeristy of Florida.  The
state uni system had a web based UI to search any of the states university
libraries via a web browser.  Yet, within the library were many terminals
running a text based UI to do queries.  This text based UI reminded me of
LYNX, which is what I meant to say earlier, 'LYNX like'.  Clearly a DB is
involved.  That would be one big ass DB though.  I do not have much
experience with PostGres (SP?), would this handle something of that size?
I'm sure MySQL would not, yet. Hmmm...

DK