[ale] Language Jihad!

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jul 17 09:39:48 EDT 2001

Rod Young wrote:

> What is a good OO language for someone who has only programed in fortran?

My only experiences are with C++, Java and Perl, so I don't know that I
can provide a really good answer.  What I will suggest is that as a
fortran programmer, you should understand that you must look at
programming a completely different way in order to properly program the
OO paradigm.  You must understand encapsulation.  If not, you are doom
to fail and not take advantage of the concepts properly.  The worst
thing you can do is to write code with an OO language using a non-OO
paradigm.

That being said, I'd go with Java before I'd try C++ or Perl. I
personally found it easier to get going.  Then again, my first
experiences with OO was C++, so maybe I learned something from it that
made Java easier.  I'd like to think so. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein