[ale] simple routing question

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 17:15:57 EDT 2001

Dow Hurst wrote:

> I have a Class C subnet and I want to firewall 10 IPs of that subnet off
> from the rest of the Internet.  As far as I understand, I must lose two
> IPs and subnet the subnet so that routing thru the firewall will take
> place correctly.  Is there another way?  I want inbound connections to
> be able to contact a machine inside the firewall so NAT isn't possible,
> correct?

Is there a particular reason not to just put the whole subnet
behind the firewall, and just not restrict access to the machines
you don't want restricted?

> Is there a way to treat the firewall like a bridge instead of a router?

Yes. <URL: http://www.linuxhq.com/ldp/howto/mini/Bridge+Firewall-3.html>

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *