[ale] old floppy

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Sun Jul 15 14:04:50 EDT 2001

Wandered Inn <esoteric at denali.atlnet.com> said
> I've got an old floppy that I'm trying to read.  I believe it was
> formated sysV, but can seem to mount it or read it in anyway.  I've
> tried dd, but always get i/o errors.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I
> believe the actual data on the floppy is ascii.

If the dd failed before reading the entire floppy then the floppy has
a physical defect but that defect may not be in important data.  Try blowing
the dust off of it and reading from a different drive that may have a slightly
different alignment.

If configured, Linux can read a variety of file formats.

Alternatively, if you're just trying to recover a little bit of ASCII, you
could just dd it off and reassemble by hand.

> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com                           [Please use for email to me]
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My book: "Real World Linux Security"]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.