[ale] Linux md5 crypted password files & Solaris8

Darrell Golliher darrell at golliher.net
Sat Jul 14 21:58:36 EDT 2001

  I think I'm screwed, but before I give up on this I thought I'd post
and hope for the best..

  I want to migrate accounts from a Linux machine to a Sun machine
without changing any of the account passwords.  My problem is that my
linux box keeps passwords crypted in MD5 format and my Solaris8 box
doesn't know what to do with them.

  My feable knowledge of the crypto involved tells me I'm not going to
get Linux to convert its shadow file to standard DES.  I had hoped to
get Solaris8 to use md5 passwords, but so far I can't figure out how
(of if) that can be done.  My thought was to give pam_unix_so.1 an
argument of md5, but the man page for pam_unix(5) doesn't say anything
about it honoring md5.. I tried it anyway, but no workie.

  Suggestions anyone?

-darrell

----- End forwarded message -----