[ale] supported Firewire cards under Redhat....

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Jul 14 00:12:17 EDT 2001

Previously, Courtney Thomas typed into the ether:
> Greetings !
>
> Anybody got a link for Redhat supported Firewire cards ?

There are several 1394 projects on SourceForge. There is a "compatible"
hardware page for vid cams, scanners, chipsets, DV codecs, storage
solutions and other IEE-1394 related hardware at:

  http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/hcl.php

Lots more links and info on the menu there as well. Only slight down
sides are that the support seems to require very current kernels and
you are likely to need a kernel compile to use any 1394 tools.

> If not, will an Actiontec card work ?

The Actiontec 1394 host adapter is listed at the above as "Works" (as
opposed to "Unknown" , "Somewhat" or "Works Great").

> Appreciatively,
> Courtney

If your application for 1394 is Linux based video/media production,
I would love to keep a dialogue open about what is or isn't working for
you (or anyone else here) off-list. <aaron at pd.org>

This is a major area of development interest for me, as I have more than
20 years background in video production, high end media post work,
computer based editing and multimedia delivery, and have also marketed
some of my own video production related software.

I'm also very encouraged by the rapidly evolving Linux offerings for
Desktop Video (to use it's 1989 Amiga catch phrase) and other
digital media production. In fact, I just learned that Broadcast2000,
an Open Source non-linear video editing software suite for Linux, is now
packaged with SUSE 7.1 (see http://heroinewarrior.com/bcast2000.php3).

If digital video and media production is a point of interest for
any other ALE members, I would be happy to help organize or participate
ina a SIG for the topics.

peace
(after justice)
aaron