[ale] Compaq Reliant web server

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Jul 12 15:03:53 EDT 2001

I'm quite familiar with the situation Bao is describing (I was there!).  The
company's costs, regardless of what they were, were covered by the
Government (read: YOU, the Taxpayer!).  It's the TOTAL AMOUNT that matters -
the "hit" that the Taxpayer is left covering.

I am finding that there is an arbitrary and artificial economic school of
thought that is being applied to IT these days and it's causing an
irrational thought process.  Computers, software,  and related equipment
have functional and economic characteristics that are very different from
any kind of assets used in any economy ever before.  I could give you all
kinds of analogical examples illustrating this with various amounts of
relevancy, but try to imagine what it would be like if a textile loom had
the economic and functional characteristics of a Windows NT server:

It would wear out LESS the MORE it was used.

At no additional cost and without much effort or downtime, it could turn
into a knitting machine, an industrial press, or a pattern cutter.

The best looms of 1996 could only go about 1/10 as fast.  In 2006, looms
will be 10 times faster still, and you won't be able to buy a new one slower
than ~7 times faster even if you don't need to make fabric any faster than
you are now.

It never had to be dismantled for regular maintenance; the parts that were
the most likely to fail were so plentiful and nonspecific to looms that some
of them could be bought in a store at 6PM on a Sunday in some big cities
(think Fry's).

You would have to pay extra for each user of the loom's output (think Client
Access Licenses - to fold Oracle license pricing into this thought
experiment, imagine that the cost of yarn for your loom was proportional to
how fast your loom was).

Can you see how freakish and surreal this is?  Only now that software and
hardware companies are multinational, multi-tens-of-billion-dollar concerns,
computers are in the majority of Americans' homes and businesses, etc. has
this really started to get to be a thorn in our collective sides.

- Jeff