[ale] Patches for 2.2.x Kernal for ATA/100

C I comidio at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 19:04:52 EDT 2001

--- "James P . Kinney III"
<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> 2.2.?
>
> The ata100 was merged into the 2.2.x kernel around
> 2.2.16 for
> several chipsets.
>
> It would be no problem to install RH7.0 and then
> upgrade to 7.1.
> The 7.0 kernel should support most of the ata100
> capable chipsets
> that 2.4 does.
> --

The kernel on mine was 2.2.16 sorry for the lack of
info.  RH won't even install the problem is that the
CMOS settings list the CD-ROM as the primary master
and so when I go to install it tells me that there is
not an installable medium.  I plugged the HD into a
regular IDE connector and the install went smooth.  I
spoke with the people that built the machine about the
CMOS setting and they said that was normal and it
should boot into windows fine.  The chipset is VIA
Apollo KT133A and it was my understanding that not all
chipsets were supported under the 2.2.16 kernel but
most were under 2.4.  I have everything up and running
now.

If I install a new kernal later on can I just move the
connectors to the ATA/100 and have it boot from there
or will it see the drive as something different, i.e.
hdc now and then hda?