Lyx (was: [ale] Cross-Platform Document Publishing)

Jim Philips jim.philips at s1.com
Wed Jul 11 13:12:18 EDT 2001

My
apologies after reading Dow's post more closely. I shouldn't try heavy reading
right after lunch ;-)

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jim Philips Sent:
  Wednesday, July 11, 2001 1:07 PMTo:
  'ale at ale.org'Subject: RE: Lyx (was: [ale] Cross-Platform Document
  Publishing)
  The request was to be able to create and edit cross-platform
  as well. To my knowledge, Adobe only makes an Acrobat reader for Linux. So,
  the questions is this: Can you create pdf's on a Linux box?
  -----Original Message----- From: Dow
  Hurst [<A
  href="mailto:dhurst at kennesaw.edu">mailto:dhurst at kennesaw.edu]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 12:24 PM <FONT
  size=2>To: Jeff Hubbs; ale at ale.org Subject: Re: Lyx
  (was: [ale] Cross-Platform Document Publishing)
  I've used xpdf or some such animal to view PDFs under Linux
  with no problem.  SGI is providing auto generated
  quotes for their sales reps using the PDF
  format.  I really like that since too many MSWord docs <FONT
  size=2>come my way when I am on an SGI or Linux machine.
  Ghostscripts postscript to pdf converter worked fine
  for me.  Have you tried that? Dow
  Jeff Hubbs wrote: >
  > > PDF will work the best at preserving
  graphics, appearance and > > print aspects and
  it works on most all platforms/distros >
  > I don't disagree, but where is Adobe Acrobat for
  Linux?  Reading the > documents cross-platform
  is as important to me as being able to create and >
  edit them cross-platform. > <FONT
  size=2>> In the course of following up on the suggestion re Docbook, I came
  across > Lyx and I'm finding it fascinating.
  Does anyone here know Lyx very well?  I >
  could use some help creating a template. >