[ale] 1/3 full disk, but it is full?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jul 11 08:18:01 EDT 2001

hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:

> Wandered Inn writes:
>  > hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:
>  > >
>  > > I wouldn't expect to be out of inodes.  Most of my files are over 3
>  > > megabytes and I thought the out of inode problem is usually caused by
>  > > small files.
>  >
>  > Not small files, lots of files.  One inode for each file entry in the
>  > file system.
>
> Yes, but there are usually enough inodes for a reasonable number of
> files.  If your files are big then you can't run out of inodes.  Only
> with small files can you run out.  Or so I thought.

The point is, you're allocated so many inodes for the file system.  The
size of the files is not an issue, unless of course you use up all your
disk space.  You run out of inodes when you have too many files.  Inode
to file relationship has nothing to do with the file size.  You can run
out of inodes even with large files, depending on how many inodes you
allocated for the file system.

mkfs.ext2 -N NUMBER_OF_INODES

Now if you set NUMBER_OF_INODES too small, it doesn't matter how large
your files are, you'll run out of inodes, when you run out of inodes.

Most folks I'm sure use the default number, which I do not know what
that is.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein