[ale] dns for int and ext

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Jul 9 08:44:25 EDT 2001

Gary MacKay wrote:

> I just got my DSL line up and running. Before I switch my domain to my
> in-house servers, I need to resolve a DNS problem. How do I set DNS so
> internal people can access the server (192.168.x.y) and the rest of the
> world can access it by it's public IP address? I have setup my DNS
> server to handle all external addressing. I added an entry for
> smtp.domain.com with the 192. address and mail.domain.com with the
> public address. That seems to work fine. The www.domain.com I can't
> figure out. Do I need two dns servers running? Hope not.

How many internal machines do you have?  I've got < 10 so I just put the
private ip for my web server in the individual host files for each
machine.

I think you want to register your domain (domain.com) with the dns and
then let your firewall handle the forwarding of www.domain.com and
mail.domain.com.

As for accessing your server via www.domain.com, I suspect that needs to
be configured within your webserver (apache?).

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein