[ale] Temperature stuff...

Timothy Ball timball at tux.org
Fri Jul 6 15:44:53 EDT 2001

[I accidentally deleted the head of this thread my the list demigods
forgive me.]

The best way to get a temperature reading is use the parellel port to
connect to a i2c thermocouple.

Some pointers on a circuit that you may have to hack on... basically add
a parellel connector and a bit of hacking w/ an opto-couple is
avaliable at:

http://fstewart.ne.mediaone.net/DaEtiCpesSnosTemperatureNews.shtml#ss1D89C2DF99C928FA

For the thermocouple itself look at analog (www.analog.com). They may
not be the cheapest, but they have damned near everything instock.

Then you have to just read the temp w/ a simple i2c driver... either an
ioctl() or just a poll() on the danged thing to see if it spits out temp
info. For simplicity I'd put the info in /proc rather than make a char
device.

--timball

--
	GPG key available on pgpkeys.mit.edu