[ale] Adding RAM -- Linux not happy

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Fri Jul 6 15:34:16 EDT 2001

Hello all,
        I just received my shipment of a 64MB RAM chip to add to my
system to take me up to 128MB. Now, Linux is not happy at all about it.If
I try to let it auto-detect, the kernel will hang. If I specify mem=128M,
it will get further, but reboot before it gets to init. If I specify
mem=64M, it will boot as normal. I've tried to use the rescue image on
the Mandrake 8.0 CD, but then I get a kernel panic. I can't find anything
wrong in the logs (but perhaps I don't know what to look for) and the
BIOS finds it fine. Any ideas?

Michael Golden