[ale] Elusive ipchains issue (Long)

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Thu Jul 5 20:12:20 EDT 2001

Among your input rules is one which accepts packets whose
destination is 208.32.175.148, port 9100.  Also among your
input rules is the following which has denied 57 packets
whose destination was not 208.32.175.148:

57 40540 DENY       all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  *
               0.0.0.0/0            !208.32.175.148        n/a

Also, this appears to be one of the few places where
incoming TCP SYN packets are not logged.

It's just a guess, but could it be that this box has more than
one interface and that packets coming from home are addressed
to the interface whose IP is 208.32.175.148, but packets from
elsewhere are addressed to an interface with a different IP?

As for the opts flags, I don't have any docs handy to check,
but I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong):

  y  ='match a TCP SYN flag',
  l  ='log packets which match', and
  !y ='match packets without a TCP SYN flag'.

--Joe