[ale] Are our Ethernet drivers in danger?

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 00:02:49 EDT 2001

"Bao C. Ha" wrote:

> Bite me!  Not all of the Ethernet drivers are written by
> Donald Becker.  The copyright of a few of them were
> reassigned by Donald to the NSA, not NASA, in 1993,
> probably required by his terms of employment.  And I
> wrote my driver in my free time while working for the US
> government.  There was no requirement to give the copyright
> back to Uncle Sam.

??? No one asserted that Donald Becker was the sole source
of Linux Ethernet drivers, though he did write a significant
number of them. And as I understand it, he is a NASA
employee, and there is a specific provision in federal
law that any technology developed by NASA be made
available to the public (though whether it is
explicitly required to be put in the public domain
is unclear to me). That's all I know about the subject,
it could be wrong, and I won't say any more about it,
but I'm sorry if my post offended you.

> I have a lot of respect for Bruce Perens.  He is, however,
> well-known to shoot-off his mouth.  In this case, somebody
> interprets his comments to the extremes.  And, there is no
> doubt that Microsoft has studied this issue to death as a
> way to slow down Linux.
>
> And what is wrong with the GPL?  All GPL asks is that to
> be fair, we show our intellectual works, and would like to
> see yours if you happen to use ours.  Besides, it only
> happens if modifications are made to the kernel itself.
> Everything else can run under Linux, linked to the LGPL
> libraries, and still have source codes protected if desired.
> The kernel is less than 5% of a typical Linux system.  The
> rest of the software is released under GPL, LGPL, BSD, Perl
> Artistics, JPEG, or even commercial licenses like Oracle.

Sure. But the GPL has legal consequences about which
commercial vendors have legitimate concerns. Look at,
eg, the Human Genome Project's research results. Had
they been released under the GPL, no pharma research
firms would touch them, because they'd have to spend
millions of dollars to produce a saleable product,
which they would then be prohibited from selling
due to GPL provisions. (Example cribbed from someone
else, can't remember who at the moment.) That's
why it seems best to require *publically funded*
development to be released with no strings attached.

> I am still puzzled why Microsoft is making such a fuss
> against Linux.

1 Linux sale/download/whatever --> loss of 1 NT or W2K sale.
Similarly for Open Source equivalents of MS Office, Visual
Studio, etc. Linux seems to be rapidly catching up with
Windows in terms of market share. People seem to be
recognizing that Open Source is an effective and fast
way to produce high-quality software. MicroSoft's
hegemony is threatened, and Linux is the most prominent
symbol of that threat.

I think that's great. Let MicroSoft whine all they want,
but in the long run, Open Source wins, and developers
will have to make their money doing support and
consulting (which is also just fine, IMO). Sale of
software packages is already obsolete, only M$ hasn't
figured that out yet. Well, probably they have, and
thus the fuss :-)

I think ultimately the GPL is a non-issue. Open Source
is so obviously (IMO) a superior development model
wrt proprietary methods that it can't fail to
produce higher-quality product. So commercial
software development will die, with or without
the GPL - natural selection at work. Stallman wins,
but he could have done so on the BSD license and not
come off as such a kneebiter.

-- Joe