[ale] Demo today

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Jul 2 17:08:58 EDT 2001

Previously, Ken Nagorski typed into the ether:

> Someone mentioned a demo at Inovax today?

Yes... Amiga Atlanta hosted a REBOL distributed internet demo at
Innovox...  and sorry if you missed it. (Apploligies, too that I didn't
see your note before now: my email server was unreachable the past three
days due to a lightning strike "upstream").

I hauled a couple of Linux machines down the stairs of Innovox for the
show, plugged their RJ45 lines into the router for their SDSL line,
typed "pump" 2 times and we were up and running. Nice demo space!

While running demos and talking about the language we were also chatting
and posting questions on line with REBOL's creator, Carl Sassenrath,
throughout most of the presentation. We did this using a nice, simple,
6 KB REBOL Instant Messenger client operating via the 580 KB REBOL View
package. Perhaps just as noteworthy as the miniscule size of the package
and most all REBOL programs is that the I.M. script was written
by Carl's 12 yr. old son in his first couple of days of using the
language.

Most of what we covered and talked about, though, is readily available
to peruse on the Rebol.com and Rebol.org web sites.

On the 0 to 11 Geek Mode / Cool Tool scale, I'm now rating REBOL View
2.5 at about a 9! :-) And knowing how truly fast and simple it is to
download, install and explore, I strongly encourage everyone try it
out! I hadn't explored the newest "View" version before last week, so
I had to download and install the latest material for Saturday. From
downloading to transparently (though securely) connecting to my network
to running demo scripts and chatting with Carl over R.I.M. was a matter
of less than 5 minutes!

peace
(after justice)
aaron