[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Jul 2 10:13:37 EDT 2001

Frank Zamenski wrote:

> Agreed on all counts. It is difficult for many to finish the college degree
> when one is working, married, raising kids, buried under financial
> obligations
> etc.

> wow! Tough way to go. Ask anyone who has been there, or is going through
> it now.

As an 8 year graduate of LSU, I can tell you, do the '4 year, have a
great time at college' route.  I started college, quit, got a job, then
went back.  Although my employer paid for my tuition it was a hard go,
particularily for my final courses, which were offered only during the
day and about once every two years.  I can remember watching everyone
else going off to all the fun college activities, while I was headed off
to work or study.  My younger sister started after me, passed my up and
graduated while I was still just getting into my 3rd year.  I went year
round and summer.  It is pure hell trying to balance work and school,
particularily when doing a CS program which requires a lot of computer
time.  I'm sure it's a bit easier now, since most of that can probably
be done on a PC, whereas I had to go to the school and do the 'shared'
time stuff with my punch cards. :)

> As above. Absolutely! And in times of economic slowdown, the degree(s)
> have given me the employment edge over a non-degreed person.

AT&T technical promotional plan identifies a persons 'promotability'
based on a couple of criteria.  One is education which can be either
formal college or job experience.  The job experience is substantially
longer timeframe than the college requirement.  Also, there are things
that are assumed when you have the degree, verses the on the job
experience.  Often times, you'll need to back up the experience with
more verbiage in order for it to balance with the formal education.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein