[ale] Couple of highlight articles of the day

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Mon Jul 2 03:12:05 EDT 2001

> Microsoft announces shared-source strategy
> By: Joe Wilcox
> 6/27/01 9:20 AM
> Source: News.com

> Microsoft said on Wednesday it will share the source code for its newest
> development tools with hand-picked customers and business partners.

I bet they forget to mention that they charge for the source license.
AT&T also was happy to share the Unix source code with commercial sites,
for $50,000 or so each.
> see full article at :
> http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-6393098-0.html?tag=pt.yahoo.fin..ne

> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

> Wednesday June 27 08:15 AM EDT

>  .Net to support Linux?

>  By Peter Galli, eWEEK

> Is Microsoft preparing to port part of its .Net platform to Linux (news -
> web sites)? Beta testers and developers think so, saying there is growing
> evidence that the Redmond-based software giant may well ship a smaller
> version of its .Net common language runtime on operating systems other
> than Windows, including Linux and Unix (news - web sites).

I suspect they have a plan: simply move the "proprietary monopoly" to a
"middleware" level above the OS.  Then they can be "Linux-friendly" and
maintain their control.  About 10-15 years ago many big companys were
offering their "middleware" level for sale (that worked on the major
platforms, Unix, Windows, Mac) so that any application under it "worked
the same".

I predict that this is the real .Net plan.  Beware!  World Domination is
in danger.

> see full article at :
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010627/tc/_net_to_support_linux__1.html

> for those of you who are interested....