[ale] automation program for dns creation

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Jan 29 23:49:48 EST 2001

dude, i'm almost GIVING this to you, but you'll have to fine tune it for
your system.  With Linux everything is stored in text files (usually in the
/etc/ directory).  When you load the netconf program, all it does is ask you
things and insert them into these files.  This should probably work, but the
group will need to fine tune it (since I've had _several_ beers already, and
I just feel like giving you a jumpstart because the Linux curve was steep
for me and I want to see you succeed with it before jumping ship (and
resorting back to, acK, Win) like I almost did a few times...  (I thank
YAWEH/BUDDA/JHC/etc. that didn't happen! [and i don't even believe in her!])

1) pico /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S60network (i'm assuming sysVinit on redhat, Turbo,
etc.)
type:
      #!/bin/bash
      echo "Enter domain name that changes:"
      read name$
      echo "nameserver" dns1.name$ > /etc/resolv.conf
      echo "nameserver" dns2.name$ >> /etc/resolv.conf
      echo "domain" name$ >> /etc/resolv.conf
      echo hostmaster.name$ > /etc/mail.conf  (someone correct this
please?!)

Okay, you can't have an IP with the #256 in it like you posted in your
message... you'll have to figure something out there.  0 is your network
address and 255 is your broadcast, so your usable ip#s (on a class C are
1-254);  there is a flaw there that you'll have to figure out...

That's as much as I can give you based on what you told me... perhaps the
group will help you further (or I may sober up...)  most likely the group
will help you before I sober up.  I tried to quit drinking, but no one likes
a quitter...!

cheers,
cb