[ale] 486/8 meg memory as a gateway?

Gary Maltzen maltzen at MM.COM
Sun Jan 28 12:03:08 EST 2001

>I've often wondered about the option in the kernel that says CPU can't
>keep up with the network load.  I want that kinda bandwidth.
>
>As to the original question, you may have a problem installing depending
>on what hardware it has.  I have a 486-DX4-100 notebook w/12M I was gonna
>make into a router.  No CD drive and all the network installs required 16M
>of RAM (well RedHat did).  Guess I need to look into Mandrake or
>something.

I just finished bringing up my cable modem gateway.
$25 - 486/SX-33 with 16MB RAM, 270MB HDD, built-in 10bT
$ 5 - 486/DX2-66 CPU
$ 0 - abandoned 406MB HDD
$ 5 - additional ISA 10bT
install: FTP from 486/DX-100 (32MB, 26GB) server.

/dev/hda1 -   6MB /boot (24% used)
/dev/hda5 -  48MB swap
/dev/hda6 - 348MB /     (68% used)
(I got carried away with how much of RH6.1 to install)

It easily supports 1500kbps data transfers
(which I'll probably stop getting once my neighbor gets his c-modem
 and his daughter starts downloading from Napster)