[ale] 486/8 meg memory as a gateway?

J.D. Forinash foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 26 14:48:10 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:16:36AM -0500, Wandered Inn wrote:
> Any of you network gurus tell me if I'm making a mistake to try and use
> a 486 with 8 meg of memory for my ISDN connectivity and gateway?
>
> Also, anyone tell my why the machine boots and the bios reports 8 meg,
> but free reports 6372??

Machines from that particular era of history liked to shadow a good bit
of ROM in RAM, making it unavailable for real use, but I wouldn't have
guessed anything would have quite that much RAM set aside for shadow.

You could test this theory by going into the ROM BIOS program, disabling
video ROM shadowing, and seeing if you get anything back. You won't need
video ROM shadowing for a router, anyhow. :)

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                           ,-.
Georgia Tech College of Computing CNS  ( <