[ale] Linuxgruven

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Wed Jan 24 16:10:04 EST 2001

What does linuxgruven do?

-----Original Message-----
From: Perry [mailto:perryw at bellsouth.net]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 3:55 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: [ale] Linuxgruven

Hi there, I was surfing through the archives and found some posts from back
in October about Linuxgruven and how I should be weary of them.  I was
curious as to what others had to say after an interview with them yesterday.

I was told that for their "Network Engineer" position that I need to be a
certified LCA, http://www.linuxcertification.com, and that they would offer
me the training for $3150 as well as a voucher for the 4 tests.  They told
me that I could either self study or take the class through someone else to
become certified, taking their class is not necessary to become employed
(if I was certified, he would have offered me a job yesterday, or so he
said).  Since I'm not certified and am looking to break into the IT
industry, I figured that this would be a good opportunity.  But, common
sense has taken over and this whole setup sounds sketchy.

Sitting there in the Lenox Towers waiting for the the interviewer, I heard
the receptionist answer the phone for at least 2 other companies.  No big
deal, small company shares HR office space with other companies.  The test
to get invited to the class was amazing easy, about zero questions on it
that dealt directly with linux, more about general hardware.

Linuxgruven has an article on their webpage that is from the St. Louis
newspaper, I checked up on that and it was indeed published.  Seems that
they have at least 1 big client, and I was told they signed on with Turbo
Linux.  I called the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce and they didn't have
anything on the company.  Called the Atlanta BBB and no complaints have
been filed.  Call the St. Louis BBB and they have no closed complaints, but
3 pending.  The guy I spoke to has heard of the company and is trying to
track down more information about them, but they have not repsonded to a
letter he sent them.

linuxcertification.com recommends 128 hours of classroom contact for the
certification, Linuxgruven gives 80.  My pesimistic outlook tells me that
they are hoping people may fail the tests and they'll be up the 3
large.  Pass the tests, and according to a contract they sign before the
class begins, and you have a job for $45,000 along w/ 401K, health,
etc.  Enticing to say the least.

Has anyone had any further experience with the company?  Is their class any
good?  Anyone in Atlanta offering the LCA class?  Any advice?  I'm about to
call back to see if I am 'invited' to the class and I'm going to try and
push some more info out of the guy.

Thanks,
-- perry