[ale] Gathering for Antitrust Movie

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Sat Jan 20 23:26:58 EST 2001

> A few of us from the ALE meeting are going to see AntiTrust this
> Saturday and I thought I would invite anyone who wishes to come and
> watch it as a group.  The following is the info and time:

Cindy & I were there, both wearing KMFMS shirts (Kill .. M$) and Cindy in
Penguin pants but we didn't see anyone, nor they us.

Anyway, we both found it to be an EXCELLENT MOVIE.  It was very well
thought out and not particularly predictable, fun and fast paced.  Its
portrayal of life at both a large software company and at a startup was
very accurate, based on my too many years in the industry.  While some
poetic license was taken, the premise that the antagonist, GW (no
relation to William Gates), had no ethics was not too far from reality,
IMO.

It compares the concepts of proprietary software to open source and even
lists among the acknowledgements:

	The Open Source Community
	Linus Torvalds

There's also a guest appearance by Scott McNealy (President and founder of
Sun Microsystems) and screen shots of Linux systems.  The issues of corrupting
alliances is not far from reality either.

At the end, everyone in the theatre applauded and you will too when you
see it.  It's rare to see someone have the guts to stand up to GW, I mean,
WG.  They should be encouraged and it's a real fun movie.

> UA Perimeter Pointe 10
> 1155 Mount Vernon
> Atlanta, GA 30338
> (770)481-0255