[ale] Palm/PDA devices and Linux

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Fri Jan 19 10:30:51 EST 2001

Blake Sorensen writes:

 > Secondly, what packages do people reccomend for syncing? The one I'm
 > familiar with is Autopilot. Do any of the packages support the USB
 > cradle, or do I need the serial version?

A very good one and by far the simplest is jpilot.  I just works.  It
allows you to enter data on your computer and it syncs and backs up
well.  It supplies it's own desktop PIM which unfortunately does not
have alarms on it's calendar, so it is not very useful as a desktop
calendar.  If it had that I'd use it.

gnome has pretty a decent syncing tool.  I don't much like the gnome
calendar or contact manager, but they sync up okay.

kde has kdepim which I've been unable to get the pilot stuff turned on
under redhat 6.2.  I like KDE so it's been frustrating.  If anyone
knows how to get it working I'd appreciate it.

When I worked on a Sun I used PilotManager which was petty good.  It
has a conduit for the Sun calendar manager and maybe one for plan as
well.

I don't know about USB for any of these.

--Michael