[ale] pptp and ppp continued

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jan 19 09:46:23 EST 2001

I'm responding to Joe's message here too, as I don't recall receiving it
as of yet.

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
>  Did you guys figure out how to specify the DOMAIN option?  I need to
> use poptop to gain access to a Microsoft VPN server.

I've found that I don't need to specify a domain, but that is for my
particular circumstance.  The docs I've seen indicate that you append
the domain to the user name (DOMAIN\\username).  I've seen this form
used both in the chap-secret file as well as the command line call of
pptp.  These references came from the pptp mail list log.

As of yet, I have not successfully connected.  I've set it aside for a
while as I've got higher priority issues to deal with right now.  When I
get back to it, I'll keep the list informed of my successes/failures.

> Thanks,
> Chris

I tried a couple of variations of this and no go.  The only difference
was that I had more delays then you.  I'll try it again and see if I
have any luck.

> The -v should log the chat conversation, which may help with
> debugging.  Although sending 'CLIENT' may or may not help, it
> shouldn't hurt anything, and it shouldn't result in script
> failure errors.
>
> One more (possibly important) thing -- Your log contained
> the following:
>
>   Jan 15 15:37:18 a modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-108
>
> The README.linux file that comes with ppp makes reference to
> char-major-108, but it looks like it only applies to kernel
> versions >=2.3.13;  lessor kernels should not generate the
> error.  If this error is still occurring, it may be the root of
> your problem.

I've since dropped back to ppp 2.3.8 as it appears that is the version
that contains the mschap support.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein