[ale] Can't start X as non-root user...

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 11 08:09:43 EST 2001

Try this file for .xserverrc:

#!/bin/sh
Xdepth="-bpp 16"        #YBPPMV

if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper ] ; then
        exec /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper -auth $HOME/.Xauthority ${Xdepth}
else
        exec X -auth $HOME/.Xauthority ${Xdepth}
fi

It's simple, but it worked for my FreeBSD install.  Put it in your home
directory.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |
8:05am up 8:58, 1 user, load average: 1.10, 1.06, 1.01