[ale] Alt key under X-Windows

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Mon Jan 8 11:06:52 EST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Brad Dixon wrote:

> ... RedHat 6.2. Under some application the Alt key
> does not work. This is really irking me!
>
> Broken:
> emacs: No Alt-X or any other Alt commands

I find <ESC> <KEY> seems to be a synonym for Alt-<KEY>: I press <ESC>,
then press 'x' (two keystrokes), and I see the command prompt: 'M-x'
This also works with the MSWin clone of 'emacs'.

> emacs -nw in an xterm: no Alt commands
 [dunno - try it there, too]

> I've changed my XFree86Config file to use a "microsoft" keyboard to no
> avail. Any ideas?

I haven't thought about keyboard dependencies; I just have a generic
$9-wonder from Computime.

--
Regards -
 John Mills