[ale] VMWare and LILO configuration

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Jan 7 20:51:42 EST 2001

> From: "Kent Pirkle" <kpirkle at ga.prestige.net>

Did I miss something here? :) I did if I don't understand
VMWare 'raw disk', which I've never used with it. Is that
the same as the native fs of the host OS? If so, he seems to
want dual-boot capabilty to go beyond the 2GB limit plus
the ability to run Win98 under VMWare in Linux, plus the
ability to put Win98 on a drive and partition OTHER than
the usual hda1. Right? (Wrong? :) He wants it all, reasonable,
some games run badly if at all under VMWare, some
peripherals won't work, no surprises there.

So he needs some params passed to LILO tell it where to
find Win98 on hdbx, but it's not straight forward because
Win needs to think it's in hda1. Somebody here should know
those.

I can't imagine upgrading the kernel or the entire OS
(non-destructively of course) harming his VMWare setup
either. One caveat I recall to what he wants to (maybe?) is that
he should not mount any Win98 fs within Linux while it is running
in VMWare, and if I recall, it should never be mounted at all.
That's one trade-off.

-fgz