[ale] DHCP - please help!

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sun Jan 7 14:56:32 EST 2001

My roommate has decided to set up his own gateway (DHCP) to dole out IP
addresses to everyone at home.   For some reason _BOTH_ of my linux machines
hang when trying to get a DHCP address at startup.  When I manually load the
ethernet modules, then ifconfig eth0 up, etc. I get networking working just
fine.  Hes using a windows box as the gateway, and I think the problem is a
broken dHCP implementation on that Wincrap machine.  Am I mistaken?  This
has become an in-house holy war.

Here's some info on the machine in question:

NIC #1 (to internal network):
IP: 10.10.10.10
DNS: 24.4.125.33, 24.4.125.34
HOSTNAME: cc249386-a
DOMAIN: chmbl1.ga.home.com
NO GATEWAY

NIC #2 (to cable modem):
IP: 24.6.48.37
DNS: 24.4.125.33, 24.4.125.34
HOSTNAME: cc249386-a
DOMAIN: chmbl1.ga.home.com
GATEWAY: 24.6.48.1

Someone please help!  This is driving me absolutely INSANE!!!  My win2k box
(dual boot with linux mentioned above) is set for DHCP and works fine, but
when I boot linux (redhat) it hangs at eth0 init.  My other linux box is
Slackware 7.1;

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

thank you greatly in advance...