[ale] Adaptec 29160 termination problems

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Sat Jan 6 19:58:01 EST 2001

Gary -

I know that a 50-pin device cannot be used to terminate a 68-pin bus.  I
don't have any exper with the 29160 nor using cards that have both 68-
and 50-pin connectors, but what I think might be happening is that the
50-pin connector and the 68-pin connector are on the same bus.  Check
your docs carefully as to whether or not you can only use one of those
connectors at a time.  I get the feeling that if you connect a
three-position 68-pin cable to the corresponding connector on the card,
put the HD with termination enabled on the other end of the cable, and
then put the tape drive with termination disabled on the middle
connector via a 68/50 adaptor, you'll be just fine.

- Jeff