[ale] Kernel 2.4 Released

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Jan 5 10:53:54 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:40:42AM -0500, Bob Kruger wrote:
> "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> > On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 09:25:55AM -0500, Bob Kruger wrote:
> > > Richard Storey wrote:

> > using appropriate calls which can support them.  I'm not sure if that was
> > backported into the 2.2.x kernels or not.  IIRC, I think it was.

> >         Big problem always was "lseek()" which required a "long" for the
> > seek parameter.  That broke at 2 Gig.  Anything else using or returning a
> > long for a file position indicator was broken.  Applications supporting
> > long files (>2Gig) need to use calls like lseek64 and open64 to support
> > long-long (64 bit) file position pointers.  Then your limit is something
> > like 4 TB.

> Interesting.

> I am running Slack v7.1.  I just compiled the new kernel and installed.
> I then recompiled Samba after doing a "make distclean", and configure
> did not pick up that large files could be used.  I am wondering what to
> do to get this enabled.  I don't need it right now, but I would hate to
> have to find out the hard way when I do....

	I think (I hope) you would see this handled automagically by
configure.  It should enable 64 bit access when things like open64 are
available.  You SHOULDN'T have to do anything as an end user, once
the package is set up to support it properly.

	If you look in samba/source/configure you will find lots of test
for flock64, stat64, fstat64, as well as defines for things like
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64.

	Other systems already have these things for 64 bit offsets so
a lot of packages are already prepared for dealing with it.  Since
the LFS (Large File System) API has been defined for several years,
it shouldn't take much if applications are already running on other
operating systems with 64 bit offsets.

	Bottom line is that you should never have to do anything "overt"
to enable large file system support.  It's either not there at all, or
it will autoconfigure itself.  The exceptions to that should be very
rare.

> Regards - Bob Kruger

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/