[ale] laptop input requested

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Thu Jan 4 14:46:20 EST 2001

Geoffrey,

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 3800 700Mhz with the speedstep. I
haven't really looked into whether linux can support the speedstepping
(would love to know if anyone has!) but basically I'm running a dual-boot
win2k/RH7.0 box and Redhat 7.0 worked fine except I had to tweak the sound
as the maestro 3 sound card "isn't supported" (whatever that means :)).

Anyway, under linux, the laptop runs at the regular 700Mhz but under
windows it runs at (I think) 500-550Mhz when its running on battery power.
Overall I'm really pleased with the unit and would recommend it to anyone.

Ben

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:

> Wandered Inn wrote:
> >
> > I'm in the process of selecting a laptop that will replace my existing
> > hardware.  It's for work, so my options are limited.  Anyone have any
> > experiences with any of the following:
> >
> > Dell Latitude CPxJ 650GT
> > Dell Latitude CPxH 500GT
> > Dell Latitude CSxH 500GT
>
> Just got off the phone with Dell.  The CPxH 500GT has been certified to
> run RH 6.1  The only difference between that and the 650 is that the 650
> has a specialized processor which uses something called Speedstep
> technology that enables it to run at 650 when it's running off of ac
> power.  Anyone know anything about this Speedstep?
>
> I guess I'll get the 500 and not worry about dealing with the Speedstep
> stuff, although it'd be nice to have the extra 150 mhz as I will be
> using this thing on the desktop quite a bit.
>
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds.
> The
> latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to
> hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
> intelligence."
> - Albert Einstein

 Most people don't need a great deal of love nearly so much as
they need a steady supply.