[ale] Shutdown process

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Wed Jan 3 09:01:41 EST 2001

Why can I not run a filesystem in RO mode and not worry about the user powering it off?  The use will never shutdown the device properly.  I just need files on the FS to load programs in memory.

I believed that if I just remounted the FS in RO mode, that would take care of the dirty FS problem.  Am I mistaken?

Can I do the following:

1. Load kernel
2. Mount / in RO
3. remount in RW for loading and configuraiton and storage of settings
4. remount in RO so user can take control.
5. Users turns power off when finised.

Plese understand I do not plan to use SysVInit,  I am going to create a basic init to take care of a few things.  If I have to use SysVInit package, I will but it just adds too much bulk to the package.  I really am not concerned with users and permissions.  My main goal is to use the linux kernel and the filesystem and programs that run under the linux kernel. I don't need the whold package such as RH 7, etc.  I do not want damage to the FS though.

Chris