[ale] arp requests from cable modem

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Jan 2 20:05:03 EST 2001

Higher level protocols such as UDP, TCP, and ICMP are encapsulated
in IP packets, which in turn are encapsulated in lower link-level
protocols such as ethernet.

In contrast, ARP packets are encapsulated directly in the link level
protocol, so ARP is not a higher level protocol on top of IP.  Since
ipchains is only for filtering IP packets, it does not filter non-IP
packets such as ARP.

I don't know of any way to "block" ARP requests.  You can configure
an interface so as not to use ARP, which I guess means that ARP
requests are never sent and are ignored when received, in which case
I suspect that all network traffic through the interface would come
to a screeching halt.

--Joe