[ale] dhcp/gateway question

Les Neste lesneste at atlnewmedia.com
Tue Jan 2 16:37:44 EST 2001

I'm configuring a Linux box to serve as a gateway.  Obviously, the system
has two net cards in it.  One net card goes to my DSL provider where it
uses DHCP to get an IP addr etc.  The other net card goes to a LAN.

I'm getting some funky behavior as follows: if I take out the card for the
LAN side, the DHCP request works fine and I'm up and running on the net at
large.  However, if I put the second card in, even if it's not connected to
anything, the DHCP request fails.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Any hints?

The latest UNIX System Administrators Guide (the purple book) says RedHat's
DHCP client has a problem in which rather than broadcasting the requisite
all 1's for a DHCP request, it first applies the net mask, and I'm
wondering if this is what happens with the second card -- the second card
creates a net mask which the DCHP client uses, resulting in an
improperly-formatted DHCP DISCOVERY broadcast?

System:

RedHat 6.2, P133, 128MB RAM, huge HD, pretty much a stock server
installation except I added X and CVS.

Any help much appreciated.

Les Neste
Cellphone 678-778-0382