[ale] RH 7.0 wth boraken compiler

JB Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 15:43:22 EST 2001

Chris,

>From gcc.gnu.org's FAQ:

GCC FAQ : General Questions :
What is the relationship between GCC and EGCS
In 1990/1991 gcc version 1 had reached a point of
stability. For the targets it could support, it worked
well. It had limitations inherent in its design that
would be difficult to resolve, so a major effort was
made to resolve those limitiations and gcc version 2
was the result.

When we had gcc2 in a useful state, development
efforts on gcc1 stopped and we all concentrated on
making gcc2 better than gcc1 could ever be. This is
the kind of step forward we wanted to make with the
EGCS project when it was formed in 1997.

In April 1999 the Free Software Foundation officially
halted development on the gcc2 compiler and appointed
the EGCS project as the official GCC maintainers.

We are in the process of merging GCC and EGCS, which
will take some time. The net result will be a single
project which will carry forward GCC
development under the ultimate control of the GCC
Steering Committee.