[ale] remote syslog

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jan 2 07:47:25 EST 2001

I'd like to get all my syslog messages to a single machine, but was
wondering if there might be a security issue with taking advantage of
the remote syslog solution.  I've read a lot about how to do it, but
I've not found any documentation that might indicate this could open up
some security issues.  Ideally, I'd like to log my syslog messages from
my bastion and choke firewalls to a machine that's on my internal
network.  This would require the bastion having the ability to send
syslog messages across the perimeter network through the choke.

Anyone know of any outstanding security issues with this type of
solution.  A pointer to some docs would be appreciated.

PS, I saw a copy of Bob Toxen's book at Barnes and Noble the other day.
I had let my daughter go to the childrens area and went to check on her,
returned to purchase the book and it was gone.  Should have taken it
with me. :( Good for you Bob. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein