[ale] Re: One app per machine (was: uptime)

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Feb 22 12:26:18 EST 2001

djinn at djinnspace.com wrote:

> What do ya'll think about the one-app-per-machine philosophy?  Is this
> overkill?  What about if you've got some sort of HA clustering or other automatic
> failover going on...does that reduce the need for a setup like this?

I think it is a good philosophy, particularily from a security
standpoint with respect to  your firewall, web, db, (can we say
EggHead??).

The issue is that Microsoft all but admits that their own apps "don't
play well together."  I should relate the specific situation.  We had a
single web server running NT and I wanted to have better control over my
email, that is, I wanted to pop it rather than Outlook it from the
corporate boys who wouldn't turn pop on on their exchange servers.  We
couldn't purchase more hardware, so I suggested the web server provide
email services as well, realizing, this stuff was inside the corporate
network.  The NT guy says no can do.  His boss who pretty much talks the
corporate/M$ line, is an old UNIX hack.  When the NT guy says you don't
want to do this, alluding to the reference that the apps "don't play
well together,"  I told him that you would never have a problem running,
say Apache and sendmail on the same UNIX box.  (I know, never say
never..).  Anyway, his boss chimes in and agrees that yes, you probably
don't want to run web services and mail services from the same NT box,
and that UNIX would most definitely not have a problem.

That being said, my overall experience with Linux/NT dual boot systems
is that I can keep adding the hardware to the system and NT is finally
going to crap out.

Okay, so maybe it is unusual to have a scsi scanner, scsi syjet drive,
printer, internal isdn card, pcmcia nic and modem, serial port fax
receiving device, hanging off a docking station on a laptop.  BUT, Linux
never had a problem, NT, routinely trashed itself.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein