[ale] FW: Mouse does not work

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Wed Feb 21 15:11:39 EST 2001

I am useing a generic PC that when I start X the mouse will not work.  I can make the mouse work by using command "cat < /dev/mouse" and then movig the mouse.  when I see characters, I then do "CTRL-C" and switch to X.  Mouse works fine!  I figured that opening the mouse may help so I tried to write code that did the following:

 int
 main(void)
 {
        int fd;

        fd = open("/dev/mouse", O_RDWR);

        if (fd == -1)
        {
                perror("mouse");
                exit(1);
        }

        close(fd);

        return 0;
 }

However, this does not have the same effect as "cat < /dev/mouse"  Does anyone know what I should do.  gpm is not running.  X is the only one with control of mouse.

Chris