[ale] uptime?

Brian J. Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Wed Feb 21 14:21:30 EST 2001

How about a totally fabricated pseudo-scientific answer?

Take the number of computers in a network which have
shareable data on them. Multiply the "uptimes" together
to show to effects on availability of data.
Example  #1 100 computers with uptimes of 98% is 100^.98 = ~91%
Example #2 100 computers with uptimes of 95% is 100^.95 = ~79%
In a truly distributed environment where you may *think* that
an uptime of 95% (Win) is ok, the effect on the other systems
can be, in fact, quite poor (79%). What is even worse? Add just
one Windows machine into a network of Linux machines and see
what the transitive value of one poor percentage does to the final number.
-Brian J. Dowd