[ale] bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Wed Feb 21 13:42:37 EST 2001

Keep an eye on the number of processes you have running.  Something
may be forking off too many.  I think there is an overall limit of
about 512 total.  The limit per normal user is about half that.

Also, I think it might (?) be possible for a process (running as
root) to reach this limit by having a large quantity of zombie
children which have exited but which have not been released via
wait().

How to fix it when it happens?  Forking new processes will require
you to kill old ones first.  Exiting from programs and shells might
help (or it might not, if some other process is forking new children
as quickly as you make resources available for them).  Using bash's
built-in "kill" command might help if you know some PID's to kill.
Using bash's "exec" command might also help (no fork necessary), but
you will lose your shell in the effort, meaning you might only get
one shot at fixing the problem.

--Joe