[ale] vpn and dns

Bao Ha baoh at linuxwizardry.com
Tue Feb 20 10:56:40 EST 2001

> From: owner-ale at ale.org [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf
> Of Wandered
> Inn
> > If you are using pptp under pppd, you can set the pppd option,
> > usepeerdns, to request DNS values, which will be added
> > automatically to the /etc/resolv.conf file.
>
> I've just tried this, although the dns entries show up in
> /var/log/messages, nothing updates /etc/resolv.conf.  I assume you
> actually mean updates the actual file?

Yes.  I am confused, since it should work.  Check the /etc/pppd/ip-up
file.  You can grab the DNS values using the script.  Also, pppd
sometimes refers to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.  See if it is setup properly.

> I can pull them out of the log file and build the resolv.conf file on
> the fly, but I figured if it's supposed to be automagic, that would be
> easier.

It should be!

> Anyone have any idea why I can't get to other subnets within the vpn
> network??  I've tried a couple of things, but no luck.

During the ppp connection, pppd will setup the default gateway based
on what the server tells it to do.  Check your route table during
the connection.  You can manipulate it with the /etc/ppp/ip-up and
/etc/ppp/ip-down script.  The default scripts should work seamlessly
though.