[ale] routing and local packets

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 20 09:09:07 EST 2001

Can the iproute2 system route locally generated packets using fwmark?

I'm getting conflicting information from the docs. An older doc,
policy-routing, reports that fwmark'ed packets are not routable if locally
generated. The Linux 2.4 Advanced Routing HOW-TO gives instructions on
use, but no mention of locally generated packets.

Using firewall logging, I see packets that are marked hitting the OUTPUT
chain but not the POSTROUTING area.

some details:

/usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o eth1 -j MARK --set-mark 2
/usr/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -m mark --mark 2 -j LOG --log-prefix "OUTPUT mark " --log-level debug
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 2 -j LOG --log-prefix "POST mark " --log-level debug

/sbin/ip ru add fwmark 2 table 4 pref 1000
/sbin/ip ro add 0/0 dev eth1 table 4

# /sbin/ip ru li
0:	from all lookup local
1000:	from all fwmark        2 lookup 4
32766:	from all lookup main
32767:	from all lookup 253

# /sbin/ip route list table 4
default dev eth1  scope link

I get syslog (snipped)
 kernel: OUTPUT mark IN= OUT=eth1
which matches the logging for OUTPUT.
No logging from POSTROUTING shows. The packets get dropped by routing (I
think) Does the reading of a mark change the mark? (It seems unlikely)

Suggestions? Comments? Pointers? Net guru's welcome to flame my ignorance.